Crystal Fairy Z-Squad (also known as Z-Squad) is a South Korean-Canadian computer animated television series produced by Enemes and Nelvana. It was first aired in South Korea on SBS between December 4, 2006 and June 4, 2007.
However, a year before its broadcast, Enemes had previewed a pitch pilot for the series at the Seoul Character Fair 2004. This version displayed several differences compared to the final product:
- Instead of their new clothes and hairstyles, the girls wore early clothes and hairstyles with their theme colors (red for Chaney, pink for Haemi, green for Jeanie). Their power belts also have fairy wings.
- The girls were to transform with their zoots, and had entirely different transformation sequences.
- All three girls appeared slightly older in early design, when compared to the actual series.
- The pilot had a lot more action and destruction, compared to the lighter, more 'magical girl' fare witnessed in the series.
- There was a girl who loves chocolate chip cookies, and who has glasses. She would host the show in this pilot. In the final product, the three boys came in to play a game called beach volleyball.
Shortly after Enemes screened the pitch pilot, several clips were recorded in July 17, 2004 at the Seoul Character Fair 2004. The behind the scenes footage was also released in July 17, 2004 created in Alias Wavefront Maya and Avid DS for the DVD bonus feature. Most clips are also difficult to find these days compared from the past.
It is possible that a longer, full pilot may exist, as pilot telefilms were sometimes done to present a series' concept. A 3D animation reel was also released in July 17, 2004 by Enemes for the DVD bonus feature.