Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z (出ましたっ! パワパフガールズZ Demashita! Pawapafu Gāruzu Zetto), better known as simply Powerpuff Girls Z, was an anime adaptation of The Powerpuff Girls that had aired on Cartoon Network. It aired on TV Tokyo from July 1, 2006, to June 30, 2007.
However, a year before its broadcast, Toei had previewed a pitch pilot for the series at the Tokyo Anime Festival. This version displayed several differences compared to the final product:
- Instead of their vests, the girls wore white bolero jackets with trim in their signature colors (ie. pink for Blossom, blue for Bubbles, green for Buttercup). Their belts also lacked the 'P' symbols.
- The girls were to transform with their weapons, and had entirely different transformation sequences.
- All three girls appeared slightly older in design, when compared to the actual series.
- The pilot had a lot more action and destruction, compared to the lighter, more 'magical girl' fare witnessed in the series.
- There was a boy professor who accidentally created Chemical Z, and who had glasses. He would have replaced Professor Utonium as a character. In the final product, the boy became Utonium's son.
Shortly after Toei screened the pitch pilot, several clips from it were leaked online by fans that had recorded it. However, Toei has never released this pilot in its entirety, not even as an extra on the DVD releases. Most clips are also difficult to find these days compared from the past.
It is possible that a longer, full pilot may exist, as pilot films were sometimes done to present a series' concept. However, it is unknown what the exact case may be due to this footage having been forgotten over the years.