Shortly before the 1989 sequel to the 1984 supernatural comedy hit Ghostbusters was released, director Ivan Reitman excised several scenes for the film to speed up the running time. Among them are as follows:
- The short segment during the "comeback" montage with the ghostly jogger was actually a short scene, where after capturing him, the Ghostbusters actually time his run and joke about it.
- During the montage which shows the supernatural effects of the slime on the city, a subway train was shown to stop for techical problems. When two workers inspect the track to determine the cause, they find two frightening looking frog-like demons with large tongues. The scene was cut because the workers' reaction was deemed too comical rather than realistic.
- When the Ghostbusters first go to inspect the painting that Vigo's spirit resides in, he hypnotizes Ray (Dan Aykroyd) into attempting to kill his friends in the Ectomobile by speeding through traffic and running red lights. Winston (Ernie Hudson) manages to overpower him and crash the vehicle into a tree. Some of this footage was retained in a montage.
- Louis (Rick Moranis) attempting (and failing) to capture Slimer, first by using Kentucky Fried Chicken legs strung along the ceiling, but only manages to collapse it. The second by posing as a pizza delivery man and attempting to shoot Slimer with a proton pack.
- Louis manages to get his cousin Sherman (played by Eugene Levy) who works at the sanitarium, to get the Ghostbusters a clean bill of health and release them. Sherman asks the 'Busters to give him a ride, but they leave him behind.
- Venkman (Bill Murray) tries to lead some firefighters in a chorus of "Kumbaya" to open the slime shield around the museum. However, their efforts only manage to open a very tiny hole instead.
Failed Kickstarter Campaign
In 2013, a documentary filmmaker named Bradley Bjornstead began a Kickstarter campaign to create a documentary based on the lost scenes from the film, and even proposed possibly raising money for an extended cut. However, with a $100,000 goal in a relatively short window of time, only about $1,600 was actually reached and the goal was not met.